Reports to: Department Supervisor
Hourly contract rate: $12 (no tax withholdings)
This is a full-time contract position funded in part through a federal grant administered by the State Library of Ohio. The full-time grant position is expected to include up to 1960 hours from October 1, 2019 to September 30, 2020. The rate of pay is set by the grant at $12 an hour (no tax withholdings).
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide professional, enthusiastic, courteous and outgoing interactions with library customers of all ages. Reach out to people in an outgoing manner and look for new community audiences for technology. Advocate for and enhance customers’ digital literacy skills. Develop library users’ technological confidence.
- Develop curriculum materials and programs on technology topics. Deliver public presentations that are interactive, enthusiastic, and informative to both groups and individuals of all ages. Provide one-on-one assistance and group training on topics such as Microsoft Office and Windows; digital literacy; online security; mobile technology; social media; computer hardware; 3D printing, gaming; employment; and similar topics.
- Coordinate with the supervisor to set schedules and milestones for assigned projects. Self-manage project schedules and milestones so that deadlines are met and work shows high quality. Determine and maintain satisfactory progress on assigned work. Report on progress as appropriate.
- As directed: discover, assess, and make informed suggestions to supervisor on new technology that the library might train on or offer to library customers.
- Assess and report on customer service interactions, user learning success, and personal productivity. Make informed suggestions for improvements.
- Perform various other technical, customer service, or clerical tasks in other departments when needed. Assist customers with the use of library equipment, copiers, microfilm, faxes, computers, etc. Provide informational assistance to customers of all ages.
- Learn and teach others essential library resources such as databases, catalog systems, and equipment.
- Contribute to a positive, friendly, and cooperative environment for staff and library customers of all ages;
- Follow all applicable library policies and procedures.
- Work in various departments as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Excellent knowledge of information technologies – computer hardware, mobile, software, social media, etc.
- Excellent communication and people skills. Able to solve problems in an agreeable manner collaborating when needed, and to explain technology in easy-to-understand terms.
- Positive attitude and good customer service skills.
- Ability to pay attention to detail and prioritize tasks.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Ability to present information without bias and avoid recommending products or actions.
- An appropriate combination of education and training to demonstrate required knowledge, skills and abilities. College training in a relevant field is preferred.
- Candidate must have experience working with various age groups, providing customer service, and maintaining confidential information.
- Must pass a background check.
- General office/library environment;
- Attire must be appropriate for a business office environment.
- Work requires direct customer service a majority of time;
- Limited physical effort required, including repetitive motion in the operation of a PC or other library equipment;
- The physical demands referred to above are typically exhibited when performing this job’s essential duties and responsibilities. These physical demands are not, and should not be construed to be job qualification standards, but are illustrated to help the Library, employee and/or applicant identify tasks where reasonable accommodations may need to be made when an otherwise qualified person is unable to perform the job’s essential duties because of an ADA-related disability.
UNDERSTANDING AND AGREEMENTI understand, and will effectively perform, the duties and requirements specified in this job description.